Things To Do and See
Christmas in the Country provides plenty of things to do and see for all ages. It is the largest interactive Christmas event in Grey and Bruce Counties.
The event is hosted by the Saugeen Valley Conservation Foundation and the Hamlet of Formosa to raise funds for conservation efforts and local initiatives within our own local area. Some of the things to do and see include the following:
Twenty-four must things to do and see at Christmas in the Country!
- NEW – this year’s event will be held in the Hamlet of Formosa - there will be so much more to see and do!
- NEW - come out and visit Formosa's famous Catholic Church, Designed by Ontario architect Joseph Connolly, the church was built of locally quarried stone. It was also featured in 'The Stone Carvers' book by Jane Urqhart.
- NEW - more lights than ever!
- NEW - check out the Home and Hobby Show at the Formosa Hall
- NEW - a new location and new menu options at the Christmas Cafe (Formosa Hall). Most everything is homemade! Mmmmm!
- NEW - enjoy Santa at the scenic Lion's Park and check out the new Elf Eatery!
- Enjoy a walk through the Hamlet as every building hosts a different Christmas activity. The Hamlet will be closed off to normal traffic for the duration of the event, helping to provide a real old-fashioned Christmas feel as horse-drawn wagon rides make their way through town with bells a ringing, music playing and candle lanterns lighting their way!
- The Hamlet will feature hundreds of candle jars lined along the roads and pathways, as well as thousands of lights adorn the park!
- Enjoy demonstrations, hands-on activities and unique displays, especially the Native Encampment and the Story Telling!
- See if you can make your way through the Elf's Maze!
- Make Your Own Bannock Over An Open Fire!
- Enjoy the Animal Barn - the kids love it!
- Enjoy a free cup of hot apple cider
- Take part in the 'Evening Story Telling' sessions around a cozy fire!
- Take a Horse Drawn Wagon Ride to the Christmas Cafe.
- Get on a horse and take a stroll through our woodland.
- Have the little ones take a Motorized Duck Ride, provided by Stu Byers, Hanover
- Get on board the North Pole Express Train for a short ride to the North Pole!
- Write a letter to Santa and post it right there at the Hamlet Post Office!
- Decorate your own Gingerbread Cookie!
- Make a Christmas craft by Make a Craft, Durham
- Make your own lantern!
- The kids will love Whoeville!
- And last but not least, remember to collect your free goodies at the last stop!
PLEASE NOTE: Buses will be running continuously throughout the event, making it much easier to get from one activity to another!