Saugeen Conservation was established in 1950 as a result of increased flooding problems in and around the communities developed along the Saugeen River.
The Authority has a jurisdiction of over 4,632 sq. km (1,788 square miles). There are currently 15 member municipalities within the Authority jurisdiction.
The watershed jurisdiction consists of the drainage basins of the Saugeen, Penetangore and Pine Rivers as well as the adjoining Lake Huron shoreline.
In delivering it's programs, Saugeen Conservation has acquired over 8,498 ha (21,000 acres) of land for a variety of purposes, ranging from the protection of important river systems to the provision of picnic areas and campgrounds.
In addition to its participation in local projects, Saugeen Conservation is involved in provincial conservation concerns, as a voting member of Conservation Ontario.
Changing our Look over Time